It is time! Doctors encourage everyone six months and older to get a flu vaccine. The flu shot will take approximately two weeks to kick in and help protect you from the virus. Contact Kaner Medical Group today to get your flu vaccination.
While we would love to see a mild flu season, there is no guarantee. The best thing we can do is get the flu vaccine before you're in the middle of flu season. With that said, there are a few more things that you can do to help protect yourself from becoming ill with the flu.
Tips to avoid getting the flu:
● Get the flu vaccine soon
● Wash your hands frequently or use hand sanitizer or antibacterial wipes when soap and water isn’t available.
● Cough into your elbow/arm instead of your hand
● Stay away from sick people
Is it the flu or a cold?
If you have the flu, it feels different than a cold because you feel terrible all over. That "hit by a mack truck" feeling is much worse than what you'd experience with a common cold. The flu also comes on suddenly where a cold can come on slowly.
I've got the flu!
There is no cure for the flu. If you do get the flu, there are anti-viral medicines that can shorten the length of the virus. Anti-viral medications must be prescribed by a doctor and are only effective if taken within the first 48 hours of your first symptoms. There are also over the counter products to help treat the symptoms you will experience if you do catch the flu.
Tips to feel better when enduring the flu:
If you are suffering from symptoms of the flu, here's a few tips that might just help you feel better. Give them a try.
● Stay home - the flu is very contagious and best and most responsible thing to do is call off work or school or any appointments, events, etc.
● Rest and rest some more - This helps your body spend its energy healing.
● Enjoy drinking plenty of water, tea, and juices. Eat broth-based soups.
● Use over the counter medications to treat the symptoms you are experiencing such as a cough, pain, and fever.
The flu is expensive!
Getting the flu shot is the best way to prevent the flu. The flu vaccine is inexpensive especially compared to catching the flu.
If you get the flu, you'll have to miss time off of work, school, and even fun social events. Some people become so ill with the flu that they end up having to visit the doctor or even the hospital. Some also end up with a lengthy hospital stay. Sometimes lives are even lost as a result of the flu.
You can see the dollar signs adding up with the time off work, over the counter medications and potential doctor or hospital visits. Not to mention, the lost time of doing things you want to be doing besides being sick.
Kaner Medical Group has the flu vaccine available. We offer extended hours for your convenience. Contact us today and do the best thing known to help the flu stay away - get the flu vaccine.